"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions. Expedience and right are different things."--Jefferson

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Power of Presenters and exposure to greatness

Here is an email one of our youth sent:

"So a few days ago I sent an email to Tom Miranda who is well known in the hunting world about schooling and getting started in the hunting industry. This is what he sent back.

Adam-
There are lots of careers in Outdoors- guides, game wardens, working for companies in the outdoors... like Mathews or selling outdoor gear at Cabelas.
You'll find more time to hunt if you go to college and get a career outside of hunting.. yet if it's the outdoors that calls you- likely you'll need to find out what gets you excited
about it and go for that.
Hunting at the level I do is a lifestyle.
It's all I do and think about. I was a trapper at age 11 and haven't spent more than a summer working for anyone- except myself and my dream to be an outdoorsman-trapper, bow hunter-adventurer.
You have to want it more than anything and document it. write articles on your adventure- take lots of photos- network with companies..
It takes a lifetime to achieve some of these goals- and some NEVER will.
Yet you must be devoted and willing to give this your all to be successful.
College wise in my career- a degree in broadcast journalism or film making, lighting and cinematography.. English is good- I write many TV scripts and magazine articles.
Wishing you the best of success..
Tom Miranda

I read lots of hunting books and articles and very few of them are about getting started in the industry so this is really nice for me to get. I have to thank my mom and dad for sending me over to a neighbor's house yesterday after he went duck hunting to talk and then sent me back to go learn how to then help clean (pull them open and get the breast meat and heart out) them. Taking opportunities like these will help me work towards my dream working as a pro. hunter."


The power of getting our youth interacting with guest presenters and people in the fields of their interest is immeasurable, especially since everyone I have heard address our youth says variations on the same thing:  you need to be passionate about your dream and work hard to get it.  You must give your all.  I have been amazed at how each presenter has reinforced different elements that we teach the youth, without any coaching whatsoever.  All I tell them is what the group is basically about, and that we want them to share with the youth what they are passionate about.

Then their greatness does the rest.

We have had politicians, actors, missionary grandparents, musicians, artists, and authors, to name a few.  And each one has had a timely and applicable message to share.

1 comment:

  1. Ted Stewart lives in the Farmington area and presented to our group
    Gerald Simon has presented twice to our groups...so fun! Very musical!
    Chad Hawkins came and did a little sketching exercise with our art class

    ReplyDelete