"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions. Expedience and right are different things."--Jefferson

Thursday, April 11, 2013

The history of modern education...

The following is an incredible video...a must-see for all of us who have "come off" the conveyor belt of modern education.

We have certain mindsets, behaviors, and expectations that have come from our experience in public school, and we need to really look at what they are and where they came from, so we can use true principles and methods.  I particularly like what he said about the purpose of certain classroom techniques.

Like I said, a must-see!  Thank you so much, Genevieve, for sharing this!
********
A friend brought up an interesting point about the Seth Godin clip. :)  I was already thinking this, but just wanted to get it out for you all to know.

I should be careful what I throw out and endorse :).  I loved so much of what he said, but, as my friend said, he said some things at the end that I don't necessarily agree with.  As with champions of most any cause, he was extreme in some cases, and I didn't agree that all of it applied to me or was even all truth.

Case in point: I love the hypnobirthing method and highly recommended the book to a friend.  She hated it, saying that she didn't agree with everything the author said.  I was surprised, because, I, too didn't agree with everything, but loved the truth that was in it and the food for thought the points I disagreed with gave me.

Like is says in Moroni 10:3-5, seek for truth by the spirit and the Holy Ghost will bear witness of it.  Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world, and the truth is hidden.  The Holy Ghost will help you know what is truth and what you need to do with it. 

But remember, the Holy Ghost may have different messages for different people:
-the Anti-Nephi-Lehis knelt in prayer even as they were slaughtered.
-Nephi took up the sword and slew a man who was lying helpless before him.

So judge righteously for yourself, and don't condemn the actions of others...good words to live by :).

Like was said in the most recent LDS General Conference, the most important thing we need to do in these latter-days is to be able to recognize, feel, and act on promptings of the Spirit.
Thanks, friend, for reminding me about that important clarification!

No comments:

Post a Comment