"Immediate necessity makes many things convenient, which if continued would grow into oppressions. Expedience and right are different things."--Jefferson

Sunday, February 24, 2013

"You, a child, lead armies?"

When we are dealing with the greatness within our youth, the sheer immensity and power of their individual missions, we must never doubt who they are and what they are capable of!  I was reminded of this when I read the following quote from "Joan of Arc" by Twain:

"You, Joan?  You, a child, lead armies?

"Yes.  For one little moment or two the thought crushed me.  For it is as you say, I am only a child--a child and ignorant--ignorant of everything that pertains to war, and not fitted for the rough life of camps and the companionship of soldiers.  But those weak moments passed.  They will not come again.  I am enlisted, I will not turn back, God helping me, til the English grip is loosed from the throat of France."

This quote caused my daughter Tova and I to think of the hymn "We are all enlisted"...and we all are, youth and parents alike!

"This new light in the eye and this new bearing were born of the authority and leadership which had this day invested in her by the decree of God and they asserted that authority as plainly as speech could have done it, yet without ostentation or bravado.  This calm consciousness of command and calm outward expression of it remained with her thenceforth until her mission was accomplished."

May we imbue our youth with this same confidence, by leading them to God, to truth, and to the greatness within each of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment